GNU Dico - Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Jean Louis
Subject: GNU Dico - Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 19:13:07 +0300

* James Lu <jamtlu@gmail.com> [2020-10-01 18:20]:
> macOS comes with a system dictionary.
>
> Maybe the dictionary should be part of the GNU system, usable by any
> userspace program, such as the other GNU operating system, Emacs.

It is already part of GNU, there is GNU Dico:
https://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/software/dico/

It is official GNU project. GNU Dico is a flexible modular
implementation of DICT server (RFC 2229). In contrast to another
implementations, it does not depend on particular database format. GNU
Dico handles database accesses using loadable modules.

The package is shipped with quite a few modules thnat provide support
for the most often used database formats and strategies. New modules
can easily be written in C, Guile or Python. The module API is mature
and well documented.

The package also includes a console client program, that can be used
to query remote dictionary servers.

Thus GNU Dico is extensible for any type of dictionary access, for
this reason it is better than other dict/dictd software.

I prefer that Emacs dictionary function become adapted to use dico.

Jean