Re: Standardizing more key bindings?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Standardizing more key bindings?
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 23:45:29 -0400

  > > I applaud this initiative, but one of the steps would be to define
  > > common bindings to use in all "inferior" (REPL) modes,

That is a good idea, but please let's call them "interpreter modes",
to avoid misleading implications about how these languages work.

  > It doesn't have to be in the global-map, it could be a minor mode
  > activated by those major-modes or users that want it.

The first question is, should thee bindings be conceptually global?
I don't think so.

To make them global means they conflict with a lot more other bindings,
and that makes the task of choosing these bindings harder.
It also means that the change would be a bigger incompatibility.

Thus, I think we should plan on having these bindings only
in the major modes that involve talking to an intepreter.

How to _implement_ these bindings is another question.
The easy way is for each major modes to establish the bindings
in its major mode map.  That is simple and coherent with
the rest of Emacs.

The idea of having one single keymap to implement them presumes that
any given binding is implemented by the same command in all these modes.
Is that true?  I doubt it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman