Re: Standardizing more key bindings?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Standardizing more key bindings?
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 09:56:22 -0400

>   > > I applaud this initiative, but one of the steps would be to define
>   > > common bindings to use in all "inferior" (REPL) modes,
> That is a good idea, but please let's call them "interpreter modes",
> to avoid misleading implications about how these languages work.

FWIW, I disagree: in my part of the world, "REPL" is the standard term
to talk about an interactive loop that "read"s a chunk of code,
"eval"uates it, and then "print"s the result.  AFAIK this description
fits the "REPL" acronym and fits most interactive loops like that of
a shell, or those of languages like OCaml, Lua, Python, younameit.

        Stefan