Re: Emacs default key bindings [was: Opening Up More Keymaps Re: Stan

From: Philip K.
Subject: Re: Emacs default key bindings [was: Opening Up More Keymaps Re: Standardizing more key bindings?]
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2020 00:31:02 +0200

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 02, 2020 at 11:14:48AM -0700, Drew Adams wrote:
>>> Perhaps it's time we opened up some additional keymaps...
>
> AFAIR:
>
> C-x is reserved for emacs internal use.
> C-c for users.

According to "(elisp) Key Binding Conventions":

> Sequences consisting of ‘C-c’ followed by a control character or a
> digit are reserved for major modes.

(not the exceptions listed in the info node)

while C-x is a lot safer for users. It would be very unusual for a major
mode to rebind "C-x ...", which is why I bind most of my local functions
to that map. On the other hand, something like C-c C-... will often be
shadowed by a major mode minor mode, hence I don't bother trying.

--
        Philip K.