Re: Making TTY menus more visual

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Making TTY menus more visual
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2020 12:04:22 +0300

> Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2020 09:43:12 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Now there are newly emitted events for mouse-movement that are not
> > handled such as "<mode-line> <mouse-movement>" or "<vertical-line>
> > <mouse-movement>". It'd be easy enough to bind all of these to ignore
> > and further update tty-menu-navigation-map to have more cases, but is
> > that the right solution? I'm surprised that only xterm-mouse would run
> > into this case.
>
> Emacs normally doesn't receive mouse-movement events unless we
> explicitly enable that, see the macro track-mouse.  And the
> menu-processing code for other TTYs doesn't enable mouse-movement
> events because it isn't needed: with other mice the mouse coordinates
> can be read even if the button wasn't clicked.

Actually, I see that my memory was faulty, sorry: we do enable
mouse-movement events internally in read_menu_input.  And the map used
by TTY menus, defined in menu-bar.el, does have this binding:

    (define-key map [mouse-movement] 'tty-menu-mouse-movement)

So I'm not sure why you'd need to explicitly ignore mouse-movement
events on the mode line.  Can you tell more about the problems you saw
with that?