Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 12:21:35 +0100

My experience was very close to Gregory's.  I also didn't have
patience to follow the tutorial at first, but when I did I ended up
ditching cua-mode and a lot of half-baked stuff I had.  I also
didn't read the manual very often, because I didn't find it easily.
I didn't even distinguish correctly between Emacs and Emacs Lisp
manuals, and was confused by Info vs Man.  But C-h f and C-h k
and following those hyperlinks were life savers from the start.
Didn't care about the remaining C-h stuff though, which would have
helped, in retrospect.

I still do keep a C-a binding that switches back and forth between
beginning of line and beginning of indentation and a shadowing
binding to kill current buffer with C-x C-k (the default one, C-x k, is
too easy to mistype for such a common operation).  Those are my
only two surviving things from 2005, and I can perfectly use
an Emacs without them.

João