Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Philip K.
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 13:30:48 +0200

Adrien Brochard <abrochard@gmx.com> writes:

>> Why not just create a simple HTML form with a captcha (not Google's
>> thing, but a simple library that generates an image)?
>
> I know it sounds easy, but it can rapidly become a considerable amount
> of work. The captcha is not trivial and then there's the question of the
> backend and where the data goes. To limit barrier of entry, the survey
> must be as easy to fill out as possible. That means that we can't have
> downtime, lag, and work on mobile too. I am more inclined to trust that
> work to professionals and have to pay a little for it.

For the fun of it, I wrote a simple survey application[0] that includes
a self-hosted captcha (without tracking anyone), requires no Javascript,
is mobile friendly and should be fairly fast. Of course it can be
improved. I wrote it as a quick and dirty evening project, but I
think it demonstrates that this kind of an approach is practicable.

[0] https://git.sr.ht/~zge/survey

--
        Philip K.