Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 23:42:41 +0300

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [2020-10-11 23:20]:
> > I've said this before....  We should make
> > `report-emacs-bug' better known as a recommended
> > way to submit ANY feedback about Emacs.
> > It might also make sense, for discoverability etc.,
> > to add a `send-feedback' alias for `send-bug-report'.
>
> I'll mention also that I often suggest to users
> (e.g. on SE.emacs or Reddit) that they use `M-x
> report-emacs-bug' to send an enhancement request.
>
> And pretty much each time I feel obliged to add
> something like "(that's for enhancement reports,
> as well as bug reports)" so they aren't scared
> away by the command name, thinking that it's
> something too serious or that they might get
> criticized for not submitting a report of a
> proper bug.
>
> An alias that emphasizes general feedback to
> improve Emacs would be good, I think.

You are putting much energy into that.

Then, did you review the bug database, how many enhancements really
arrived?

Now, speaking of Emacs improvements, those popular configurations are
already showing what some users wish and want, they also do good work
in attracting new users to Emacs.

Speaking of MELPA, that is also something users want, so I hope we
start somehow doing elpa.nongnu.org where such packages can be
invited, so I understood, polished and distributed.

So, all those popular configurations could be then forked into
elpa.nongnu.org including thousands of other packages, after careful
review.

That is for me the summary of this talk, there is need for a shelf
with new shiny shoes.