Re: empty-directory predicate, native implementation

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: empty-directory predicate, native implementation
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 15:16:54 +0200

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

Hi Arthur,

> I have seen in the source code calls to Ffind_file_handler, and have
> been looking at the function in fileio.c, but I didn't figured out what
> it really does, so I didn't use it. I tested without and it worked fine
> :-). Anyway, I have added it now, but I am not sure if I using it
> correctly, since I am not sure what it does.

Looks good.

Simplified spoken, this code makes Tramp work. If you call for example
(directory-empty-p "/sudo::/") , find-file-name-handler (the ELisp
equivalent to Ffind_file_name_handler) checks, whether Tramp feels
responsible for this directory name, and it calls Tramp's function in
case.

You know, that your function cannot handle "/sudo::/".

> By the way, what are "special constructs" referred to in the comment?

Tramp file name syntax here. See (info "(elisp) Magic File Names")

Best regards, Michael.