Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 17:03:28 +0300

> Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 21:06:12 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org>
> cc: acm@muc.de, emacs-devel@gnu.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, juri@linkov.net
>
> > Unless we can come up with a change that is either simple or safe.  Or
> > if we decide that the current situation is so unacceptable that we are
> > willing to take higher risks of releasing a less stable Emacs 27.2.
> >

> I cannot make such a judgment.  But I think options should at least be
> explored.

That goes without saying.

> Would doing something like what eldoc-minibuffer-message does
> possibly be a good solution?  It seems to me that this is safer than the
> current situation, as it does not fiddle with the minibuffer contents.
> If so, what do you (and others) think of the following:

I personally feel that moving echo-area messages to the mode line is
too drastic a change to make it by default, and certainly in a minor
release.  But let's hear wjat others think, and what other ideas will
be brought up.

> (defvar minibuffer-message-mode-line-string nil)
> (setq minibuffer-message-clear-timeout 3)

This seem to make the message clear automatically after a 3-sec
timeout?  If so, this is also a change in behavior wrt what 'message'
does: the current behavior is to clear the message only when an input
event comes in, the timeout is optional and off by default.

> > I cannot help you with your doubts more than I already did.  If you
> > still have those doubts, I'd appreciate if you keep them to yourself,
> > because having them written here is an insult I don't think I deserve.
> >

> Where do you see an insult in what I wrote?

That you publicly accuse me of not evaluating your proposal properly,
based on nothing but your tendency to doubt (and the fact that I
disagreed with your opinions).