Re: Where to show message output while inputting [was: New multi-command

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Where to show message output while inputting [was: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area]
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 13:27:53 -0400

>> Eldoc's purpose is different from the purpose of displaying echo-area
>> messages.  For example, nothing significantly bad can happen if you miss
>> the Eldoc's hints, but the same is not true for some important
>> echo-area messages.
> AFAICS you can't miss them with the proposed solution: they are displayed on
>  the left of the mode-line, with a different background and foreground.

In my setup, the minibuffer is in its own frame, with no mode-line in
sight.  So indeed I don't get the eldoc hints in `M-:` because they're
placed in a non-displayed mode-line.  E.g.:

    % src/emacs -Q --eval '(setq default-frame-alist (quote ((minibuffer .
nil))))'
    M-: (format
    ...wait a little...

...and see that the mode-line doesn't display anything about `format`

        Stefan