Re: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 14:31:43 -0400

> The problem is that if the run of text which needs to be "padded" this
> way can be split between lines, the problem becomes undefined.

I think we could give it a well-defined meaning.  E.g.

    (put-text-property (1- END) END 'relative-end-position (list START 50))

could mean something like "make sure that END ends up exactly 50 pixels
more to the right than the horizontal pixel position of START".

This way, it could be used for indentation relative to some position
START in some previous line.

Sadly, this email format does not include any notion of margin, so
I can't include the simple&elegant implementation of that feature here.

        Stefan