Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 09:05:31 +0200

Le ven. 16 oct. 2020 à 05:59, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> a écrit :
> I hope that only a minority of Emacs users know about MELPA, and I'd
> rather not inform the rest about it.  But if something is going to
> inform them anyway, it is better to do it with a denunciation.

I believe that it is too late for such hopes, and that a majority of
Emacs users know about Melpa and/or uses it. Some people know about it
without using it (most of them probably read this list) and some
people use it without knowing it (users of pre-configured emacs'es).

For instance, those three links were on the first page of a duckduckgo
search for "install emacs packages":

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/InstallingPackages
http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/emacs_package_system.html
http://pragmaticemacs.com/emacs/install-packages/

None of them denunciate anything, only one of them even mentions that
Melpa is not official.

I believe that if the Emacs webpage and manual were to mention Melpa,
it would inform a lot of users about the potential risks to freedom of
Melpa, and only inform a few users of the existence of Melpa.