Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 22:11:39 +0300

* Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> [2020-10-16 16:58]:
> Reject using melpa for ideological reasons means that the users won't
> have alternatives for their work and emacs will become like a useless
> tool for a big part of our community; whitout melpa many users will go
> for more "useful" alternatives that really steal their freedom like
> VSCode or Atom... because they need to have the work done any way.

Not true, it is very easy to replicate MELPA, and publish on a
website, while removing any proprietary wrappers or accessors.

In fact MELPA is free software project, so everybody is free to do it,
all what you need is a standard server software, git, Emacs, web
server, it is quite easy.

Just git clone melpa, make, you will see what is happening, then you
can modify it little and have all proprietary stuff removed.