Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 22:17:58 +0300

* Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> [2020-10-16 17:04]:
> And picking on 2-3 "ideologically impure" packages (out of several
> thousands!) that are distributed on MELPA is counter-productive.

There are few only until letter C, and I did not finish letter C, so I
guess there are many, number of downloads in thousands, that is pretty
devastating for a repository that is supposed to push free software,
in other words, repository is hypocritical.

Would it be only hypocritical without influencing users, fine, but it
does influence thousands of users and is promoting the download number
of software that guides users to non-free software, so that is how it
becomes not ethical.

You know, in many countries, government is working for people, but
from time to time, they will simply kill someone. You get the idea? Is
it counter productive to complain on few killed?

> > I don't understand how refusing to draw attention to a repository that
> > recommends proprietary software turns anyone into the "thought police".
>
> It's a *survey*! A survey is supposed to gather insight into what users do,
> and what they need. Not shape their behavior.

Every professional public survey is there to shape their behavior. You
do the survey, you find out what public wants, then you make changes
in such manner to influence public to gather more around you.

All professional surveys are like that. There is nothing wrong with it.