Re: Suggest installing more fonts?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Suggest installing more fonts?
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 10:31:29 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> So what is the proposal in more practical terms?  We want redisplay to
> leave some information in a buffer-local variable regarding some
> buffer positions where no font could be found, and then we will
> display a message saying something like "Characters detected for which
> there is no font (buffer positions NN, MM, XX, YY); suggest to install
> additional fonts"?  Is that the proposal.

Yes, or "Characters detected for which there is no font; `C-h C-F' for
more information", and that would be a new command that'd look for tofu
in the buffer.  (In which case we don't need the variable, but just a
delayed warning, because the new command could do the analysis,
perhaps.)

> If so, will we also mention specific fonts, and if so, which ones?
> Should we also make sure those fonts are not already installed?

If we can, that'd be nice.  We do already know (based on the Unicode
data) what scripts the characters are from?  So we could at least list
that, and then expand the help, if we have the stamina, to also include
some fonts.