RE: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 08:46:00 -0700 (PDT)

> MELPA to a large part consists of a database of "recipes", one for each
> package that it builds and distributes. This tag can be put inside
> recipes, and thus be controlled by MELPA maintainers, and not by the
> packages authors themselves.
>
> If we provide some well-defined criteria for such tags, and pick a
> neutral-enough name, I don't see why the MELPA maintainers (who are
> quite reasonable people IME) wouldn't go for it.

Just a minor comment/question about this, which
I think would be the first time such a thing
would be happening:

Do we really want to set a precedent that
someone other than the code author fiddles with
their code, adding comments or whatever?

Sure, the maintainers of a repo are, in a way,
administrators.  But should such administrators
be changing source code?  Adding other code or
whatever, to administer, label, treat, etc. the
code is, at least conceptually, different from
changing the source code itself.

No, adding a field/tag in a comment is not a big
deal.  And yes, GPL code is open to modification.

Still, is this a good door to open?