Help with tooltips and events

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Help with tooltips and events
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 15:12:44 +0200

Sorry for taking your time guys; I am aware you have 1001 bug to fix;
but I need some help in Emacs source.

I was looking at those sticky tooltips idea yesterday and I really can't
find where do I hack tooltips to let through events for tooltip frame.

I need ButtonPress so user can enable the checkbox and I need pointer
motion so user can move a tooltip with the mouse. If I can also put the
cursor icon to grabbing hand (like in pdf readers) while moving the
tooltip tt would be the icing on the cake. Just tell me what
mechanism/place do I look at?

I have registered tooltip frame for ButtonPressMask and
PointerMotionMask at tooltip frame creation time; set
no_accept_focus to nil; and let through buffer change events in window.c
but it still does not want to talk with me! I have been looking in
xterm.c and grepping and searching all over the source for tooltip and
events, but I can't seem to find where to enable events for tooltips.

I have fixed the thing with positioning and popping up; now it work every
time, and tooltips are staying on the screen for the specified interval
so one can move a pointer in and out. It was just deleayd timeout
that was spooking.