Re: Suggest installing more fonts?

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Suggest installing more fonts?
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 18:18:15 +0000

You mean, a Debian user cannot simply download font files and install them? Are Debian users forced to use "apt get" etc.? I'm surprised.

As a Debian user, I do think that I can "download font files and install them" and there's a good chance I can even do that "simply", but I have never needed to do that and would have to search for info about how to do it and I wouldn't be satisfied with the result because now those fonts wouldn't be kept up-to-date by the usual mechanisms.

So, while I'm not "forced" to use `apt`, I would first and foremost want to use `apt` and only resort to another solution if there's no other solution.

So Debian users are even less "free" in this regard than MS-Windows users? That's sad, isn't it?

Of course Debian users can simply download font files and install them: it suffices to put them in the /usr/share/fonts/truetype or /usr/share/fonts/opentype directory . Fonts can also be added with KDE Font Management or GNOME Font Manager. As Stefan said, the drawback of this solution (be it with GNU/Linux, Windows or macOS) is that "those fonts aren't kept up-to-date by the usual mechanisms".