Re: Suggest installing more fonts?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Suggest installing more fonts?
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 12:47:40 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Eli,

>> See the Emacs Frequently Asked Questions manual "(efaq) How to add
>> fonts" for installation instructions.
>
> OK, except "manual" is wrong here.  The FAQ is not a manual.

I've added it slightly rephrased to the INSTALL file. Pushed to the
emacs-27 branch.

>> > We could also use a neutral name like "apt get FONT ...", couldn't we?
>>
>> Hmm. The problem is, that the majority of users doesn't know what to
>> replace FONT with.
>
> But then the instructions you show cannot be applied if the name of
> the font changes?

Yes, we can only give examples of font packages for Debian and Red Hat
(and maybe other major distributions). Likely, this is too special for
the INSTALL file, and we shall add this information to efaq.texi?

Best regards, Michael.