Re: master 2e090da: Revert commit 1f44a776729adf9c6468a76f8310616fde62ee

From: Harald Jörg
Subject: Re: master 2e090da: Revert commit 1f44a776729adf9c6468a76f8310616fde62eeaa for Flymake.
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 20:57:15 +0100

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

> Harald Jörg <haj@posteo.de> writes:
>
>> Could such an ert-backport.el be a candidate for ELPA?  It should be
>> useful for all dual-life (Emacs + ELPA) packages.
>
> How about just making ert itself into a GNU ELPA core package?

I'd be happy with that.

ert.el would then need to implement some compatibility features itself:
It uses the new format-prompt, for example, which can be easily covered.
It also uses backtrace.el, which doesn't exist in Emacs 26.
backtrace.el, in turn, needs lisp-el-font-lock-keywords-for-backtraces,
which has been added to lisp-mode.el (in the same commit e09120d6 where
backtrace.el was created).  I didn't dig any further, but I guess
there's some effort to unravel all of this.

Maybe it would make sense to _start_ this as a long-term goal right now,
working for versions 28 and beyond?  That would make ert-backport.el a
temporary workaround, to be eliminated as soon as versions below 28 go
out of scope.
--
Cheers,
haj