Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 05:14:18 +0100

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> * Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> [2020-10-20 16:23]:
>> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>>
>> > * Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-09-29 17:12]:

>> > It is related. Let me express myself better, I am proposing a
>> > function, something like a long click or key press that is then
>> > searching in the glossary. Maybe underlying Lisp functions can be used
>> > for that feature.
>>
>> Would it be possible to make something like Helm occur where I can type
>> a term as pattern in minibuffer and then helm will show different hits
>> in a buffer; say something like those ambigious names I don't remember
>> like dired-file-name-at-point and dired-filename-at-point; or if there
>> is a function and local varaible with same name; so that docs for
>> all hits are shown in an helm occur buffer, which I can easiry navigate
>> when I wish just to skim over what function does? I would prefer that to
>> C-h f or C-h v.
>
> You just enable helm-mode and do C-h f
Not sure what you mean there. I have Helm always enabled :-). C-h f will
jump to function definition if I have it under cursor already. I ment
more like helm-occur, to show a list of functions that have simmilar
names and permutation on words in names (fuzzy search), and then when
moving cursor in helm buffer it would show doc for the function in
another window. C-h f asks you for a precise name; but sure helm completes
the name in help.

> Then install Hyperbole package from GNU ELPA and use Action key to
> jump to function definitions, very handy! It has also other look up
> functions.
Never used Hyperbole; seems to me like very big package so I am lazy to
install it and get into it. Also feels like a lot of things is already
provided by Org mode so I never really cared to install and learn it.
But that is just my impression by reading their webpage; are there some
unique and really useful features not found elsewhere?