Interferences between xwidgets and async processes?

From: JIANG Shaojian
Subject: Interferences between xwidgets and async processes?
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 11:15:59 +0800

Hi,

I found a problem when using emacs 28 with xwidgets support. I am not sure whether it is a bug. Any hint is appreciated.

Here is how to reproduce it:

emacs -Q

M-: (start-process "test1" "t1" "echo" "t1")
This creates a buffer "t1" with content
--------------------------------
t1

Process test1 finished
---------------------------------
which is normal, and M-x list-processes shows nothing since process "test1" is already finished.

Next, I start an xwidget
M-x xwidget-webkit-browse-url with some url
and then start async processes similarly
M-: (start-process "test2" "t2" "echo" "t2")
The buffer "t2" has content
--------------------------------
t2

---------------------------------
M-x list-processes shows the running process "test2", so apparently the process "test2" is not finished as it should be.

This behavior does not change whether you close the seemingly unrelated xwidget buffer or not.
In fact, I do not find any way to cure this except restarting emacs.

Below is the testing environment:
emacs version: 28.0.50 (built on 2020-9-22)
build option: --with-x --with-mailutils --with-modules --with-xwidgets --with-jansson
OS: linux

PS: emacs 28 under MacOS with patched xwidgets support does not have this problem.

Thanks.

Best,
SJ