Please help emacs-libpg enter GNU ELPA

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Please help emacs-libpg enter GNU ELPA
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 00:46:10 +0300

Please help Mario Rodas from project emacs-libpg that their module
enters GNu ELPA:
https://github.com/anse1/emacs-libpq/issues/12

Quote:

 Try to submit module to GNU Emacs #12
Open
gnusupport opened this issue Jun 24, 2019 Β· 7 comments
Comments
@gnusupport
gnusupport commented Jun 24, 2019

Could you please submit your module for inclusion into GNU Emacs?

It works well, so why not submit it directly to inclusion into GNU Emacs?

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/
@anse1
Owner
anse1 commented Jun 24, 2019

I didn't think there was widespread enough interest in a postgres
client interface to consider getting something upstream in the
first place. Also, I'm afraid the current module form is
probably not the right format to do that. After all, the module
interface was designed to allow independent distribution, and the
lack of any modules being shipped with emacs seems to confirm
that.

@marsam appears to have experimented with getting it distributed
via ELPA? I don't see any modules already in ELPA, though - is
it even possible to distribute modules with the current ELPA
infrastructure?

Another blocker might be that the FSF needs copyright assignments
to get things into either emacs or ELPA. I do have an assignment
on file, but not sure @marsam does…
@gnusupport gnusupport mentioned this issue Jun 25, 2019
add emacs-libpq to the list jkitchin/emacs-modules#2
Closed
@gnusupport
Author
gnusupport commented Jun 25, 2019

If there is or not, does not matter. But this module is making wonders. I am
managing my database with this module and helm. I have personal contact
management or CRM system to manage with this module. It iwll create impact.

I suggest that you try to include it into GNU Emacs by writing to the list.

Yes FSF needs copyright assignments, why not.
@gnusupport
Author
gnusupport commented Oct 19, 2020

I am making application based on emacs-libpq and asking on emacs-devel how to
include module as such. I would have several applications to be submitted to
ELPA based on this module.

One application is like hyperlink management in tabular mode, that is so much
similar to browsing something like gopher, it could browse from server to
server all by using PostgreSQL, it is similar to augment from Engelbart.

Other applications would be like invoice and other customer management systems,
marketing, mailings, and similar.
@anse1
Owner
anse1 commented Oct 19, 2020
Thanks for the nice words.  I also got requests via other channels and
it seems there is more demand for this module than I anticipated.  I
also read rumors that there are already some packages in ELPA that
include C code.  I just merged a pull request from @tgbugs in that
direction, but I need to read up more on the ELPA machinery...

I was hoping @marsam could confirm he has files with the FSF for
contributions to Emacs and its extensions.  But maybe it can still be
argued his was a minor contribution and thus okay without a copyright
assignment on file.
@marsam
Collaborator
marsam commented Oct 19, 2020

Hi, sorry for the delay. I don't have a copyright assignment yet, I'll try to
get one tonight.
* Andreas Seltenreich <notifications@github.com> [2020-10-19 21:59]:
 Thanks for the nice words.  I also got requests via other channels and
 it seems there is more demand for this module than I anticipated.  I
 also read rumors that there are already some packages in ELPA that
 include C code.  I just merged a pull request from @tgbugs in that
 direction, but I need to read up more on the ELPA machinery...

 I was hoping @marsam could confirm he has files with the FSF for
 contributions to Emacs and its extensions.  But maybe it can still be
 argued his was a minor contribution and thus okay without a copyright
 assignment on file.
You can look into emacs-vterm module how they made it that module is
installable and that it builds and compiles the software.

It would be so great to have PostgreSQL module in GNU ELPA, that
people can develop various applications. I have some of them.

You may write to emacs-devel AT gnu.org mailing list and make any questions
about that.
@gnusupport
Author
gnusupport commented Oct 28, 2020
* Mario Rodas <notifications@github.com> [2020-10-19 22:45]:
 Hi, sorry for the delay. I don't have a copyright assignment yet, I'll try to
get one tonight.
Any progress?

Do you need help?

--