Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 20:23:07 +0300

* Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> [2020-11-04 18:39]:
> Mind you, I hardly ever use dired (I occasionally do some bulk renaming with
> it,
> but otherwise I do most of my file managing in a shell), so take my comments
> with a big bag of salt.

While not on subject:

Interesting for me to hear that. But I can understand it. Before I
always used Midnight Commander for file management and still use it on
systems without Emacs. Under graphics I sometimes use Rox file manager
and others from desktop like Caja, etc. And also shell. But when it
comes to quick entering into directories, reviewing images, I have to
invoke package sxiv and various others to be very fast. Sometimes I
have to choose images and send quickly to other people. I think for 15
years I did not use Dired and for 5 years I cannot without it.

Very hand options `dired-dwim-target' renames or copies marked files
into other window.

Within {M-x shell} I am often using `ed' editor to handle
configurations including on remote servers. This may sound strange but
is sometimes faster option to change few lines then invoking Emacs
through Tramp to edit the file.

I like to hear various experiences, thanks.

Jean