Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 21:00:45 +0300

* Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> [2020-11-05 19:26]:
> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>
> > Just let us serialize the state of windows to the disk and re-open it
> > on demand. Thus I could create my own layout inclusive with buffers
> > and save it as "workspace" to be used with diredc. Thus two-pane
> > workspace could be "bookmarked" with some specific locations on hard
> > drive. Three-pane workspace could be bookmarked for some other
> > use-case etc.
>
> FYI, my new package, Burly, works this way: it bookmarks window/frame
> configurations and restores them, including their buffers, by using the
> bookmarks library to restore each buffer before restoring the
> frame/window configuration.  All that's necessary is for a buffer's
> major mode to define a bookmark-make-record-function and a bookmark
> handler function (as many major modes already do).

Very nice. Good in itself, I just cannot switch from Hyperbole to
Burly as Hyperbole has essentially that what you described. Only it
does not save configurations over sessions. I can add various named
window or frame configurations, or not named, I can then go into them
by name quickly or restore everything to where I was.

I do appreciate influx of new Emacs Packages. Yet it would be useful
if programmer would look into what is already available or widely
used.

Check out GNU Hyperbole!