Re: Feature branches review please

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Feature branches review please
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 23:36:15 +0100

On Thu, Nov 05, 2020 at 10:00:57PM +0000, Gregory Heytings via Emacs
development discussions. wrote:

This has been discussed at length earlier: it is in practice impossible to calculate the height of the minibuffer, and to calculate the size of the completion candidates list to insert in the minibuffer. Yet you need to do both to have a correct solution with the approach of the branch.

With the current display code on `master`, I don't think the behaviors you refer to can qualify as incorrect.

Which is why I said, in the two previous mails, "not 100% correct" and "not always correct". I did not think it was necessary to repeat "always" here.

You can argue that they are less often preferable than some other choice, but that's a far cry from incorrect, IMO, and then should be fairly uncommon. So it's definitely not very high priority and shouldn't decide whether we install a particular version of the code right now.

My point is that now that `(setq icomplete-separator "\n")' works (in most but not all cases), there is no need for the specific vertical-icomplete implementation anymore. What is (or could be) needed is an implementation that is "more correct" (correct in all cases).

I don't totally agree is the same than the branch.

The completion like "compi{compilation" with fido mode is still there,
in the same line and is not intuitive; the ellipsis is not shown and the
{} and [] are still there and hard coded. icomplete-prospects-height is
not respected either because the number of candidates is still
calculated with the window-width and adding the candidates length which
actually makes no sense at all in vertical mode.

The pixel calculation is just part of the modifications in the branch.