Re: fixing url-unhex-string for unicode/multi-byte charsets

From: Boruch Baum
Subject: Re: fixing url-unhex-string for unicode/multi-byte charsets
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 07:28:46 -0500

On 2020-11-06 14:04, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 05:27:56 -0500
> > From: Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@gmx.com>
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> I can't, not in full: I don't have a Freedesktop trash anywhere I have
> access to.  I did try the 2 file names you posted, including the one
> with Hebrew characters, and it did work for me, on the assumption that
> file-name-coding-system is UTF-8.
>
> > To reproduce, touch and then trash a file named some two Hebrew
> > words delimited by a space. Navigate to the trash directory's 'info'
> > sub-directory and extract the 'path' value from the file's meta-data
> > .info file. That's the string we need to decode. Apply the string to
> > your solution and see that you do not get the space-delimited two
> > Hebrew words.
>
> A stand-alone test case, which doesn't require an actual trash, would
> be appreciated, so I could see which parrt doesn't work, and how to
> fix it.

That would be the two file names that I previously posted. You say that
they succeeded for you, but they didn't for me. The result I got was
good for the first case (English two words), and garbage for the second
case (Hebrew two words).

> Alternatively, maybe you could explain why you needed to insert the
> text into a temporary buffer and then extract it from there?  AFAIK,
> we have the same primitives that work on decoding strings as we have
> for decoding buffer text.

I don't need to. It's implementation done in emacs-w3m. I also pointed
out that eww does it differently. I think the need in emacs-w3m is to
mix the ascii characters and selected binary output, which can't be done
with say replace-regexp-in-string. So what they do is use a temporary
buffer, set `buffer-multibyte' to nil, and instead of
replace-regexp-in-string build the result in the temporary buffer.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0