[ELPA] New package: rec-mode

From: Antoine Kalmbach
Subject: [ELPA] New package: rec-mode
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 22:01:14 +0200

Hello everyone,

rec-mode is a major mode for editing GNU Recutils[0] files. GNU Recutils
is a set of tools and libraries to access human-editable, plain text
databases called recfiles.

GNU Recutils is being used by other GNU projects, for instance GNU Guix
uses recutils to display search results.

The major mode, rec-mode[1], is currently distributed as a part of the main
recutils tarball. It makes sense also to offer this package via ELPA as
well. The source code for this package is available on Savannah[2].

The major mode would most likely be maintained as either a subtree or
external, a development version will anyway be hosted in the
recutils.git repository.

Some minor things that need to be addressed before the package can be
submitted formally, but these are fairly trivial to address:

  * Use of `cl' rather than `cl-lib'
  * Adding required package.el headers for the major mode

Then it comes down to copyright assignment: we need to check if
committers to rec-mode.el have given copyright assignment to FSF for
GNU Emacs. This is true for authors Jose E. Marchesi (maintainer of
GNU Recutils), Daiki Ueno, and yours truly. Author Julio C. M. Ramirez
does not have Emacs copyright assignment. The question remains, is the
change in his commit[3] small enough to be considered trivial? I would
say so.

What does everyone think?

[0] https://www.gnu.org/software/recutils/
[1]