Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Boruch Baum
Subject: Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2020 07:40:20 -0500

On 2020-11-08 13:09, Arthur Miller wrote:
> Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > That's why I never end up actually ever using your extensions, Drew. I
> > think they're great and I enjoy reading them, but it always ends up
> > intimidating me with a sense of overkill.
> But if an extension is overkill, how is then creaing entire system
> instead not? :-) Sorry, I just can't resist to ask.

Fair. The diredc "system" is only a few lines of code, with nothing at
all complicated (compare the data structures and compare the code to the
emacs native bookmards). It does presume a 'segregationist' mind-set
that I clearly have and many on this list don't, ie. it didn't occur to
me that people find it desirable to mix up bookmark types. Even though
I've been an emacs user for over 20 years, I was probably also heavily
influenced by pretty much all other file managers, that do have a
bookmark feature, only for directory places. I expect many people coming
to emacs more recently might also have their expectations likewise
influenced by all those other file managers. Now, if one can argue that
it's *objectively* better to mix bookmarks, then one can clearly reject
the diredc system, but once it becomes a subjective issue of expectation
and personal preference, the diredc system isn't so easy to reject.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0