Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: Andrii Kolomoiets
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 10:08:46 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Andrii Kolomoiets <andreyk.mad@gmail.com>
>> Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2020 22:34:31 +0200
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> Alan, is it possible to make 'minibuffer-follows-selected-frame' nil by
>> default?
>
> If this is because the other value produces bugs, IMO we should fix
> those bugs rather than make them less frequent (and thus harder to
> detect) by flipping the default value.

It is not producing bugs for me, but changes behavior.

E.g. in emacs -Q:

1. Evaluate
  (select-frame-set-input-focus
   (make-frame '((minibuffer . only)
                 (left . 1.0))))
2. M-x
3. C-x 5 o

Before minibuffer-follows-selected-frame, the prompt stays in the
minibuffer-only frame.
On recent master, the prompt is moved to other frame leaving
minibuffer-only frame empty.  I can't report this as a bug.  Just
wondering why minibuffer-follows-selected-frame is set to t by default,
potentially changing someone's expected behavior.