Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 09:48:44 +0100

> The patch seems to fix the bug (the one about a "recursive" C-x b
> displaying its error message in the wrong frame).
>
> Comments are welcome.

IIRC restoring the window configuration here is a bad idea because any
change of the window configuration you do in a nested invocation is
immediately undone when the outer invocation gets in control again.  So
'read_minibuf' is just as poor as 'set-window-configuration' and you
can't harm either of them much by doing such changes.  Both should be
rewritten from scratch with a clear concept of what they are supposed to
accomplish in mind.

And obviously all those select_window/Fselect_window calls outside the
scope of 'select-window' proper must get removed.  We hardly can get
them right within window.c itself so what do we expect from the others?

martin