Xref completion

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Xref completion
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 19:13:18 +0100

Hello!

Currently, when a xref query hits multiple candidates Emacs shows a Xref
buffer with the various candidates and their location.

While informative, it's a bit slow in terms of UX because the user has
to navigate an extra buffer just to confirm the candidate.

I've addressed this issue as part of my work on Helm-SLY, a Helm for the
fork of SLIME.

https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm-sly

In particular, I've overridden the behaviour with regards to Xrefs and
instead of showing the Xref buffer, I'm now offering completion: the
user can match against the symbol but also against the file and line
position.

See screenshot attached.

What do you think of adding this behaviour to upstream Emacs' xref?

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/