Re: feature/native-comp c36b4ee 2/2: [TODO] Remove noisy anti-noise feat

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Re: feature/native-comp c36b4ee 2/2: [TODO] Remove noisy anti-noise feature
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 18:10:33 +0100

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> jonas@bernoul.li (Jonas Bernoulli) writes:
>
>> branch: feature/native-comp
>> commit c36b4eed2d76f0e804d27d35dd6281f858639f94
>> Author: Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li>
>> Commit: Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li>
>>
>>     [TODO] Remove noisy anti-noise feature
>> ---
>>  lisp/emacs-lisp/warnings.el | 11 -----------
>>  1 file changed, 11 deletions(-)
>>

> Everyone is allowed to have an opinion on this feature, but just
> removing it without discussion seems a little harsh.
>
> Robert

That was an accidental push.  I do think it would be best to remove
this new feature completely, but of course I would have raised the
issue before *intentionally* removing it.

This is why I think this is not a good feature:

People will make use of it.

Longer version: Of course it is nice for users who don't know any elisp
to opt-out of seeing warnings that they cannot understand, but I fear
that users who could contribute by addressing these issues or by at
least reporting them, will opt-out as well.

Even some package authors are going to enable this, possibly because
they misunderstand what it does.  I did that for example.  I thought it
would disable "that particular" warning; not all of them.  I then had to
figure out how to revert that setting, there wasn't any button for that.

Also in some contexts the buttons cause the actual warning message to be
truncated.  For example lazy native compilation shows only the first
line of each warning and if a third of that line is used up by the
buttons that are the same for each and every warning, that can turn a
sufficiently informative warning into guess work.

I am involved in an uphill battle, fixing the endless stream of compile
warnings for the packages that are installed on my system.  It would be
nice if more people did that.  Yes, these warning are a bit annoying but
the underlying issues are not going away if we make it easier to ignore
them.

I don't use package.el and don't know what happens if there are warnings
during package installation.  If the problem is that noobs get confused
because a buffer pops up with warnings that they don't understand, then
we could prevent that buffer from poping up by default.  Going further
than that seems like an own goal.

     Jonas