Re: on helm substantial differences

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: on helm substantial differences
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 22:18:08 +0200

>> FWIW, I like the old behavior better, since it shows completions in
>> the "traditional" way: first the stuff I typed completed, then
>> whatever else is relevant.  So maybe this should be an optional
>> feature.

With the latest patch it's optional, enabled by 'completions-detailed',
but an additional option could be added - specific to grouping only
in read-char-by-name.

> Btw, just switching the order doesn't yet guarantee the names will
> align, because characters are not guaranteed to have the same width on
> display.  To really align them we need to use :align-to properties, or
> at least TABs.  Of course, using those techniques we could also align
> the display without switching the order...

This is a problem.  I tried TAB with tab-width=3, but some characters
are still wider than 3.  Then I tried 'char-width' on these characters,
but 'char-width' returns 1 for wide characters.  This is strange,
I expected it to return 4 for characters wider than tab-width=3.