RE: select yank via completion

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: select yank via completion
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 14:21:39 -0800 (PST)

> >> So now a new patch let-binds (minibuffer-completing-file-name t)
> >> around completing-read to allow inserting SPC, problem solved:
> >
> > Please don't, since we're not actually completing file names.
> >
> > I agree with Drew that we should probably just get rid of the SPC
> > binding in minibuffer completions,
>
> SPC can be an obstacle even in some completion styles
> where words are separated by SPC.

Please provide an example/recipe.

Completion candidates can contain SPC chars.

How candidates are displayed has (should have)
no bearing on what chars the candidates contain.

Candidate separation in *Completions* (for
example) is simply for visual/display purposes.
There should be no dependence of the display
code or the completion code on what chars are
used in candidates.

> The problem is that there is another self-inserting key that can be
> used for text editing: '?' is bound to minibuffer-completion-help.
> Maybe then the variable could be named e.g. minibuffer-self-insert?

`?', like `SPC', should be self-inserting during
completion.  There's zero problem doing that.
I've been doing it for years.

I use `M-?', not `?', for completion help In my
case it's `icicle-minibuffer-help', but vanilla
Emacs could just bind `minibuffer-completion-help'
to `M-?'.

Making users use `C-q SPC' each time they want
to insert a `SPC' char is ridiculous.  Likewise,
for `C-q ?' to insert a `?' char.