Re: night-mode?

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: night-mode?
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 08:21:03 +0100

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> * Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> [2020-11-22 19:39]:
>> By the way, I wonder how many users actually change their themes past
>> first few days of amazement?
>
> For new users I do not know. I remember having nice greenish kind of
> survival type of theme in Emacs back in time that I loved so much and
> I think it was Lucid kit. Every day I am changing themes as it makes
> it more pleasant to change. The plain light them I never used before
> and in last days I started using it and became pleasant, preferences
> change over time. I am using only built-in themes.
>
> Per day I change normally one time, sometimes 2-3 times and I just hit
> one of built-in themes.
>
> One annoying thing with themes is that they do not always switch
> colors if I have default face defined. In emacs -Q it works well. I do
> not define colors in default face, I try to leave them undefined but
> they always come back. Maybe theme system some times considers my
> preferences preceeding them and sometimes not.
>
> Then when I wish to change the theme it does not really work with
> front and background colors. Then again I switch to customize-face
> default to remove colors, to save configuration that I become able to
> switch the theme. This worked well before but since some time does not
> behave as I expect it. Sometimes it does work, it appears confusing
> and not controlable. Majority of times I have to remove background and
> foreground colors from default face to be able to change the theme
> properly.
I understand people like to switch to different theme for different
reasons. What you are describing is changing theme on demand,
actively. But if you are in the middle of typing, and suddenly
everything you look at changes into something radically different; I
don't know. I think brain is used to look at things, to connect colours
to some semantic meaning, that is the purpose of syntax colouring (part
Solarize got correct because they don't change accent colours); and
suddenly you just pull it away and reconfigure everything. I am sure it
is not hard and happends uncoscious, but it still is extra work for the
brain; isn't it?

By the way; I understand your feeling for change. Back in time, some 20+
years ago when I discovered X11 and window managers I was changing them
on a daily basis, reconfiguring them, changing how my computer
interaction looked and felt.

I was also rebuilding my computer, my OS, and everything else I could,
until I got tired of it after maybe a year or tow times and decided I
will not every rebuild my computers and systems again untill they break,
by break, I mean, I have to buy new stuff and build new system. But I
was always in quest for more efficiency. I always wanted things faster
and cheaper :-).

I have now for long time stop doing that; I use über simple window
manager, no bling-bling desktops, same look for several years now
(solarized dark); life is so much better. But I am unbootable when it
comes to chasing for efficiency; otherwise I wouldn't be arguing about
~200 ms of Emacs init time as i did this weekend :D.