Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 10:10:36 +0100

> On my machine (XFCE on X-Windows on GNU) I see TRT when I do this.  Could
> it be something to do with your window manager?

Here it's xfce 4.12 with xfwm4 so probably something very similar to
yours.  But since the behavior does not depend on your patches as I just
verified, something else must be causing it.

>> Here the minibuffer-only frame is selected but partially hidden by the
>> normal frame so that I don't see no cursor initially.  I don't know why
>> people like it that way.  A minibuffer child frame is explicitly not
>> selected.
>
> Do people like it, or is it just not a big enough annoyance for anybody
> to complain?  If I were a minibuffer-only frame user, I suspect it would
> drive me up the wall.

I suppose we only have two such users - Stefan and Drew - and they seem
to like it (or work around it).

>> 'other-frame' never selects a minibuffer-only frame.  It probably should.
>
> I'm more of the view that a minibuffer-only frame should never be
> selected other than by activating a minibuffer.

Then what did you mean with the last line of

>> On M-: followed by C-x 5 o (moving to the normal frame),
>> the unfinished command in the minibuffer frame cannot now be cancelled,
>> and C-x 5 o doesn't move back into the minibuffer.

martin