Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 09:54:03 +0100

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 12:38:56AM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:

>   > You laugh? See how PDF embedded javascript.
>
> I checked a few years ago, and ISTR the free PDF players did not
> run the Javascript.  At least, by default they did not.

That's why I use those. Problem is that this creates a sort of "soft
pressure": PDFs made by proprietary tools (Adobe, I'm looking at you)
sometimes don't "work" if the Javascript isn't executed client-side.

The user has the choice to complain to the issuer, almost always
getting blank stares (the issuer is usually many levels of responsibility,
so the user's complaint almost never reaches those who can do
anything about it) or to comply -- being pushed to proprietary
software. Sometimes changing the service provider is an option,
sometimes it isn't.

It's a variation of the "defective by design" pattern, with the
aggravating factor that the user has less and less choice these
days.

Cheers
 - t