Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 16:26:53 +0100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > was, but it was also before the Node and before JS become ubiquitious in
>   > every application,
>
> People can use web apps if they wish, but please do not tell people
> that that's all there is nowadays.
Convenience; everything is in the browser, in one application; it is
just like Emacs. They check mail online, write their documents online,
everything is online. Browser is the Emacs of millenials. Until
connection gets cut. I have been in a war and don't trust anyone; so I
have everything on my own harddrives and prefer real computer
applications to browser, but when I really think of it; browser is
equivalent to how we use Emacs. We have our apps as "packages" written
in Lisp instead of JS.

> That old way is also the way that is good for users' control of the
> software.  Distros package the program and offer their own versions.
> In doing this, they audit the code.  Not completely, but it's still a
> good thing.  The distros compete but also learn from each other.  That
> is the way in which our community traditionally protects itself
> against malware and bugs.
>
> "Web applications", even if their code is released as free software,
> structure a system of release and usage which has no room for distros,
> and this interferes with users' having control over the program.
Indeed; And control over the program and in the very end the user, is
why companies are so in love with webapps.