Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 09:44:20 +0100

Tomas Hlavaty <tom@logand.com> writes:

> On Thu 26 Nov 2020 at 19:34, arthur miller <arthur.miller@live.com> wrote:
>> Imagine all the vulnerabilities brought in by all the other libraries
>> Emacs uses, and Emacs uses quite many. I don't see difference there.
>
> exactly, so many libraries (i already wrote that my emacs has about 94)
> in the same process written in memory unsafe language
>
> also not only vulnerabilities but also memory leaks

>> If you are aware of some special vulnerability in libmpv, then please
>> rapport it to the project so they can fix it.
>
> if you are aware of some special tumor, then please go to a doctor?
>
> i am talking about prevention
>
> what about not smoking in the first place?

>> For the rest of your questions: answer should probably be
>> self-evident: less processes means less resources used,
>
> it's 2020 and we want to avoid processes for that reason?  strange
>
> emacs consumes all available memory easily quite often, i don't see any
> improvement on this front even with so many libraries
Maybe you should help them in the work, send in your traces if it eats
all memory quite often.

>> response at runtime and programmatic control usually means more
>> flexibility.
>
> yes, i said that libs are easier to use
Easier is not same as more flexible. On contrary more flexibility
usually means more complexity. Bringing a library like libmpv into Emacs
is certainly not easy. You are free to check the docs for embedding:

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv-examples/tree/master/libmpv

Trust me, it is much easier to shell-execute mpv player, or use Emms as
I already do; or just M-! to play music or video with mpv.

>> For same reasons, I wish even dired was not usin ls program but was
>> built on directory-files instead.
>
> i wish more of emacs was written in memory safe elisp too
>
> but this is a different question altogether
>
>> By the way, I hope you can formulate yourself ess passive aggressive
>> in future. I perceive your mail as something belonging rather to
>> discussions on twitch chatt or reddit at best.
>
> sorry that it comes that way
>
> it's a shame that you attack me instead of discussed ideas
I don't know Thomas; maybe that is way you are communicating that I am
not used too, but I am at least honest and telling you how it sounded to
me; take it or leave it. I still percieve this email as trolling. I
don't see anything really technical you are bringing in; but the very
last thing about memory safe lisp, and I don't mean it is an attack on
you, just the way I read your mail. Maybe it's me.

Yes in word 2020 I still care about efficiency, I see it as a moral
imperative not to waste resources. I might be weird, but that is how I am.