Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 22:38:25 +0000

Isn't the main reason for this that it has never been possible to interact with a MBn when a MBm, with m > n, was active?

Well, it's at best an indirect cause of the bug, but yes, it's the reason why this bug wasn't visible until now.

Put another way, is it not problematic to interact with and/or terminate a recursive edit while one or more higher level recursive edits are underway?

I think "interact with" should be OK (I can see situations where you'd use two minibuffers, where you copy text from one to the other), but since the invocations have to obey the nesting, exiting from the non-deepest minibuffer is indeed a problem.

Okay, so I wasn't completely wrong when I said that tying minibuffers to the frames in which they are created is complex ;-)

If it becomes possible to interact with lower level minibuffers, typing ".emacs RET" in a lower level minibuffer that was previously created with "C-x C-f" would open the file. What would happen with the minibuffer at that point? What should happen if it is entered again for example with C-x o? Will it become a Schrödinger minibuffer that is neither alive nor dead?

Do you think the recipe with more than two frames I just sent demonstrates a bug?

If you're referring to the recipe to which I responded, then yes.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the recipe to which I responded". I meant the recipe I sent about an hour ago.