Re: tabs, git diff and git apply

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: tabs, git diff and git apply
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2020 10:52:57 +0100

>      > If you do that again, do you get the same type of diff?
>
>     I get the same result.
>
>      > Does `git
>      > diff` have a configuration that is doing context diffs?
>
>     Sure.  You just have to be able to understand the doc.
>
> That is easy to verify, and you should be able to do
>
>     HOME=/tmp git diff
>
> and see if the behaviour still is the same (if it doesn't work, just
> running as a different user should).  If it isn't, it is a
> configuraiton setting that you have done -- reading the git-config man
> page would be the next action to see where such a setting is set.

But that wasn't my problem.  My problem was that I changed a file but
did not commit the change.  So git diff picked up the pre-change file
contents and used them instead of the actual file contents.  When I
looked at the diff output I was stumped by the fact that it claimed the
presence of a SPC character I couldn't find in that file.  The rule is
to always run git status before git diff but I probably had forgotten it
this time.

martin