Re: [ELPA] New package: valign.el

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: valign.el
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 13:13:41 +0530

Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:

> Text-based tables in Emacs has a problem when used with variable-pitch
> fonts and CJK characters: they don’t align. To solve that problem, I
> wrote a package, vailgn.el, to provide automatic alignment for Org
> Mode, Markdown, and table.el tables. Many people have been using it
> (primarily the Chinese community) with success and many bugs have been
> fixed. With the latest version, I am satisfied with the features
> valign.el provides and its stability, so I want to see added to ELPA.
>
> I’ve updated the copyright header and I’ve signed the assignment. What
> should I do next? I wish to keep hosting the project on GitHub. Here
> is the project homepage: https://github.com/casouri/valign

This looks really good. I have a question.

Is this package related to tables only or will this be a generic
enhancement? I feel that this should be a generic enhancement. Following
are the two cases where I see its appliation:

*One:*

A few days back I was tinkering with the ``Gnus Summary Line Format''
and I was thinking if it is possible to align the lines containing
non-english multi-byte characters with the other lines containing ASCII
names.

Value of my `gnus-summary-line-format' is

"%4P %U%R%z %-16&user-date; %(%[%4L(%4k):%*%-23,23f%]%) %B%s

I have reserved 23 characters for name but it misaligns when there are
multi-byte characters in it.

*Two:*

When I enable any of the `modus-' themes, org-mode tables with too many
columns misaligns.