Re: Proposal for an emacs-humanities mailing list

From: tomas
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2020 09:57:35 +0100

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 03:17:23PM -0800, Drew Adams wrote:
> Chiming in here, but not with a strong opinion...

[...]

> An alternative might be to start by inviting potential
> "humanities" participants to use help-gnu-emacs (or
> emacs-tangents?), but with a particular prefix in the
> Subject line.  If volume becomes reasonably high then
> a new mailing list could be spun off to handle it (but
> with the attendant lack of visibility to some that I
> mentioned above).

At first blush a good idea. After giving it a second
thought, I think one of the strong points of a separate
list might be that non-hackers (by which I mean those
that consider themselves to be non-hackers!) might feel
intimidated by volume, style or content (or all three!)
of help-gnu-emacs.

I concur that the cost of setting up a new mailing list
is minimal.

Perhaps... to reassure those fearing lots of "empty"
lists, perhaps it should be wise to sketch some kind
of "teardown procedure": six months after set up, if
less than N mails per time unit have been seen, a
teardown message is sent. If nobody complains, the
list is shut down. Or something.

But then perhaps this is just one more sticky bit of
red tape.

Cheers
 - t