Re: Proposal for an emacs-humanities mailing list

From: Paul W. Rankin
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 20:34:47 +1000

On 2020-12-03 19:43, Jean Louis wrote:
You said people are welcome who are potential users of GNU Emacs. I
hope that also people will be welcome who are potentially interested
users in the discussion that is going on even if they are not involved
directly in some of those disciplines. There is anyway no method of
verification who is involved in some of those disciplines.

There is no barrier to entry. If you visit plato.stanford.edu or write a haiku and now you are involved in the Humanities as far as I see.

I cannot see than how is the mailing list related to Emacs. Then maybe
you just wish to call it "humanities"?

When there is even setting with init file involved it is already so
that user is participating in the programming and that shall be
encouraged.

The prevalent assumption that Emacs = programming is something this list attempts to step away from. Emacs can be used without any programming knowledge. I used it through my Bachelor's degree without writing a line of Elisp.

Then to tell such users to go to other mailing list is rather counter
productive, as let us say student of the law suddenly wish to write a
report in Org mode, should we then just bounce users from one to other
mailing lists, that does not seem useful.

Eli was concerned about too much similarity with help-gnu-emacs. It is not my desire to bounce anyone.

I hope it will not be moderated to exclude people for expressing their
opinions as the description above tells me it leads there. Maybe in
the next revision it will look so much better.

I don't understand what you mean here. The description is an open as I could imagine. You are welcome and encouraged to provide another draft of the description if you want any revisions.