Scrolling up at the end of buffer

From: Evgeny Zajcev
Subject: Scrolling up at the end of buffer
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2020 14:57:23 +0300

I've got nasty unexpected thing.  Consider scenario in "emacs -q":
1) Open file that does not fit into Emacs window (C-x C-f /etc/services RET)
2) Goto bottom with M->
3) Show maximum content with C- - C-l (-1 arg to C-l)
4) At this moment point is at the `eobp`, nothing to be shown below the point, now press C-v

I was expecting C-v to signal "End of buffer" error, however got ugly scrolling resulting in showing a single line at the top.

Second C-v triggers "End of buffer"

If I recenter with -2 argument to C-l, then C-v triggers "End of buffer" as expected.

Is there something in Emacs I can set to stop behaving like this?

Thanks

--
lg