Re: The Emacs master is much slower than the emacs-27 branch.

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: The Emacs master is much slower than the emacs-27 branch.
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 18:03:27 +0100

On Fri, 04 Dec 2020 11:49:25 -0500 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
wrote:

> Hmm... so in Emacs-28, "you" removed XFT and GMP and replaced them with
> CAIRO and XWIDGETS.
>
> I doubt GMP and XWIDGETS make any difference, but maybe XFT or CAIRO
> have something to do with the difference.
>
> It might be worth fiddling with `--with(out)-xft` and
> `--with(out)-cairo` to see if you can get closer to the origin of
> the difference.

I can try that, but since I used the default configuration features,
that suggests that those who got no difference between emacs-27 and
master with the benchmark, or where emacs-27 was even faster, built
emacs-27 --with-cairo and --without-xft.  Is that the case?

Steve Berman