Re: Obtaining a database of new functionality per Emacs version

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Obtaining a database of new functionality per Emacs version
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2020 10:19:48 -0500

> - Relying on metadata from custom.el: Works on customizables only.
> - Combing through NEWS files: Not machine-readable, tedious, prone to
>   mistakes (not all new functionality is marked as such, for example
>   there's renames like `with-connection-local-profiles` to
>   `with-connection-local-variables`).

The version info displayed in `C-h o` comes from the NEWS files.
It's indeed approximate but I've found it surprisingly usable so far.
For such uses (i.e. for human consumption), I've found the main problem
to be that it doesn't understand that vars&functions come from packages,
so when a new package gets added in Emacs-NN.MM it doesn't tell me that
the corresponding functions and vars appeared in that version :-(

Whichever solution you end up, I hope it can be used for `C-h o`
as well.

        Stefan