Re: Resolution for rasterizing svg images

From: Dov Grobgeld
Subject: Re: Resolution for rasterizing svg images
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2020 16:41:00 +0200

Images indeed scale down, but they don't scale up to fill the available space.

But as I mentioned, when loading svg's you have two independent steps. The first step is the rasterization where you turn vector graphics into raster. There is a separate step of how you scale the resulting raster image. It makes sense that the second step is identical whether the source is an svg or png, but my claim is that the first step should be influenced by the desktop dpi.

I'll open a bug about it as Stefan suggested.

Regards,

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 4:23 PM Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

>> What is the resolution used when rasterizing svg files when loading them
>> into image-mode? I have a hdpi monitor, but the desktop dpi seems to be
>> ignored when loading an svg image, and therefore the raster image is too
>> smal. Is there anyway of manually overriding the dpi setting used? Note
>> that this is not the same as scaling the rasterized image.
>
> Please report this as a bug: the end user shouldn't have to do
> that manually.

`create-image' should scale the image automatically, whether it's svg or
not (if `image-scaling-factor' is `auto').